Surviving Hell Week (aka finals!)



Hi guys! I just realized this is my first student post. Hooray! Haha. Ok, continuing...

It's finals week, we have a bunch of assignments we need to finish and we have to study, and for some known reason that we don't like to recognize, we find ourselves slacking off. I don't know if you're like me, but when I have uni work, I find myself doing so many different/random/somewhat important other things except actual university work. I will do most anything to put off studying or working for as long as I can. I call this procrastinating. It's alright, don't worry. We've all done this at some point in our lives.

So today I would like to share a couple things/pointers I use to help me get my mind flowing and start working on those darn but necessary assignments.



1. Listening to music. 
   
 I don't know why this works but it does. Listening to music helps me concentrate. I think it's the background noise or something; it just kind of pumps me up. Plus it makes me happy and and less stressed about the work.

2. Out of sight, out of mind.

      When I'm doing my work, I like to put every electronic thing that could serve as a distraction away. If I'm listening to music, I'll put my phone on the speakers away from me and on vibrate. If I'm using my computer for the purpose of the assignment, I turn my airport off (unless it requires internet, then I stay away from tumblr and all those websites). Please ignore my laptop in the picture, it was only for aesthetics and making it prettier for instagram haha. 
       
3. Snacks.

     Who can work on an empty stomach? Usually fruits and yogurt are the ones I reach for when I'm studying or finishing some work. It gives me a bit of energy and entertains my stomach before I eat heavier. 

4. Sleep.

     I usually study in the afternoon and at nights, so those days that my mind is completely blank and I have no ideas or memory space, I like to give my mind a rest and try again in the morning. If I'm under pressure or have too many things in my mind to let me concentrate on a specific topic, I like to sleep to let my brain relax and usually I wake up fresh and with new ideas (that is, if the project or test is not due the next day. If it is then uh oh). Rest is really important for you. Your brain will not function right if you have had only four hours of sleep in the past couple of days. 

5. Ask for help.

     If I'm ever really stuck on something and I just cannot come up with anything or get myself to memorize it, I ask for help. Most of the time my friends are really good at something that I may be not, so I ask if they have any ideas they could help with or if they can come explain a subject for me. Not everyone thinks the same and sometimes, what I'm missing might just be what they know.
        
6. Switch it up.

    When I get bored with a subject or an assignment, I'll switch it for something else. For example, If I'm studying for biology, I feel stuck and bored, and I see that I have a spanish assignment to do, I'll work on the spanish one to try to get my mind off of biology for a little bit. Then, when I'm done with the spanish one or get bored with it, I go back to studying for biology. I find this really helpful when I just can't take anymore of the same thing. 

7. The agenda.

    When cramming for finals, It is really important to keep everything organized. An organized mind means organized work. I like to keep all the dates of my final assignments and tests everywhere. I put them on my agenda, on my iPhone calendar, on my laptop calendar, even in post its around my room. It works wonders for me because it lets me know how much time I've got left to prepare for 
 each and never lets me forget. 

8. Study breaks.  

These are not so important for me because when I'm "on a roll" or really concentrated in a subject, I will not let it go until I finish it. But for those times that I get stuck and I don't have anyone to help me, my stomach is full, or music is not enough, I like to take a break. Maybe play with my pets, or go outside for some fresh air and a glass of juice... Things like that help me relax and get my muse back. But I do have to warn, don't get too relaxed or you'll end up wasting your time. Trust me, it has happened to me before. Sigh. 


There are tons of things one can do to make studying less of a bore. These are just a couple I find that work best for me. Bear in mind, everyone is different and what might work for me, might now work for someone else. 

Fun note: I actually made this post while on a study break at university. Gotta use that free time. 

What helps you study? Do have any tricks that help you stop procrastinating? 

15 comments:

  1. These are really good tips! I'm not in finals week - or in exams or anything as a middle school student myself, haha, but it's definitely been hectic over the past few weeks with teachers throwing so many assignments our way.
    It's so cool that you think listening to music helps you! My friends don't understand me at all but I need background noise for anything, haha. I loved your other tips as well! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Music just gets me working haha.

      Delete
  2. Great post! I usually just go to the gym or get myself to the library where there are less distractions. Also, there's a lovely program called SelfControl that blocks all the websites that tempt you for a couple of hours. Even if you restart your computer they will still be blocked! Good luck on your exams!

    xx,
    mashasmumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I've never heard of it, it sounds interesting. Thanks for telling me about it! And thank you! x

      Delete
  3. I remember being in school and having to write a few papers for finals. I would listen to wordless soundtracks so I could focus on my paper, but not have the distractions of people around (i.e. at the library). Well glad you are making it thru with these tips! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of sight out of mind is so true! I use a self control app on my laptop because otherwise I would be on every social media website in the world and I turn my phone off! great post :) xx Rena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these tricks! Writing my thesis takes so much energy... sometimes I just need to distract myself with things I love :)

    Michelle
    http://mash-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck :) Great tips!

    xoxo
    fashionable-addict

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh great, I'd love to check it out! x

    ReplyDelete

 

Followers

Follow me on Bloglovin'

Follow on Bloglovin